Thursday 12 March 2015

Work It Out



This is an eye level angle of my local gym in Brixton.
This image represents a hobby of mine which is swimming, and also a recent hobby I have taken up which is going to the gym. What this image means to me is my determination to live a healthier lifestyle, do more exercise and be fit. This image also represents the ideology I have in common with the people in my gym, which is caring about my body image and wanting to look good.
There are people of all: race, age, shape and size that attend my gym, who may accept the media's dominant ideology of what a perfect man or woman should look like. This would make them and I want to work hard in the gym, trying to gain the unattainable image of someone we aspire to look like in the media. The opinion leaders in the media decide what type of 'fit' is the norm through mass media outlets such as magazines, which would be a slim man or woman with abs. This means that the people who are not 'fit' as seen in the media, will try to attain that body image that is represented as fit, making society succumb to their ideology regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment